Regarding “Filibuster hypocrisy” (Your Views, Nov. 27):
Although Brian Reardon writes a nice letter, he also stands as a testament that long hair, a burly beard and an appreciation for the Grateful Dead — really, we may not be all that different; who doesn’t like the Dead? — should not be misconstrued as to mean he understands the fundamentals in the founding of the United States.
The founders of our country were specific as to the liberties intended for all of us from our government. Great lengths were taken to prevent a mere 51 percent of the people from being able to pass laws in opposition to the remaining 49 percent. Thus, the birth of a filibuster, along with the need for 60 votes in the Senate.
So today, while all the liberals celebrate what they see as a great victory in their nuclear option, I fear what liberties my grandchildren will lose each time the Senate leadership changes. Only a fool would believe that the Senate will remain in the hands of the Democrats forever. Retaliation may soon taste bitter to Reardon.
Keith A. Poot